Guidebook for Roma

Gabriele
Guidebook for Roma

Food Scene

The pedestrian area in Via del Pigneto is the goal of the new Roman nightlife . Wine bars , restaurants , trattorias , pizzerias and cocktail bars are waiting for you for an authentic Roman experience.
47 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via del Pigneto
47 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
The pedestrian area in Via del Pigneto is the goal of the new Roman nightlife . Wine bars , restaurants , trattorias , pizzerias and cocktail bars are waiting for you for an authentic Roman experience.
Vintage, colorful, cosy, sweet and alcoholic like the Pigneto neighborhood. Open from breakfast to dinner.
149 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Necci dal 1924
68 Via Fanfulla da Lodi
149 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Vintage, colorful, cosy, sweet and alcoholic like the Pigneto neighborhood. Open from breakfast to dinner.
It's so good and cosy.
47 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via del Pigneto
47 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
It's so good and cosy.
A nordic design restaurant with industrial accents in the gasometer district . Combines good food with the fashion aspect of the new Roman nightlife.
83 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Porto Fluviale Ristorante Pizzeria
22 Via del Porto Fluviale
83 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
A nordic design restaurant with industrial accents in the gasometer district . Combines good food with the fashion aspect of the new Roman nightlife.
A unique place in the Torpignattara district . Its style , hospitality and taste are not found in the other coffee shops/bakeries of the neighborhood .
17 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Made of Flour
245 Via Galeazzo Alessi
17 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
A unique place in the Torpignattara district . Its style , hospitality and taste are not found in the other coffee shops/bakeries of the neighborhood .
If you want to taste the real roman cuisine you cannot avoid Betto e Mary. Familiar, rustic, easygoing staff..do not expect an Italian Restaurant, posh, expensive and turistic but a tavern.
55 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Betto e Mary
99 Via dei Savorgnan
55 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
If you want to taste the real roman cuisine you cannot avoid Betto e Mary. Familiar, rustic, easygoing staff..do not expect an Italian Restaurant, posh, expensive and turistic but a tavern.
Oustanding fried zucchini flowers with mozzarella cheese! And Pizza of course. Close to Imperial Forums and Colosseum at the edge of the nightlife Rione Monti district.
28 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Alle Carrette
95 Via della Madonna dei Monti
28 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Oustanding fried zucchini flowers with mozzarella cheese! And Pizza of course. Close to Imperial Forums and Colosseum at the edge of the nightlife Rione Monti district.

Arts & Culture

Via Appia Antica is the ancient roman street that crosses the the largest archeological park of Rome where nature and archeological evidence coexist
8 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Ristorante Cecilia Metella
8 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via Appia Antica is the ancient roman street that crosses the the largest archeological park of Rome where nature and archeological evidence coexist
MAXXI, the National Museum of XXI Century Arts, is the first Italian national institution devoted to contemporary creativity. Conceived as a broad cultural campus, MAXXI is managed by a Foundation constituted in the July of 2009 by the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities and headed by Giovanna Melandri Since December 2013 Hou Hanru has been the Artistic Director of the museum, which includes MAXXI Architettura, directed by Margherita Guccione, and MAXXI Arte, directed by Bartolomeo Pietromarchi. The programming of the activities – exhibitions, workshops, conferences, shows, projections, educational projects – reflects MAXXI’s vocation as a place for the conservation and exhibition of its collections but also, and above all, a laboratory for cultural experimentation and innovation, for the study, research and production of the aesthetic contents of our time. The MAXXI building is a major architectural work designed by Zaha Hadid, located in Rome’s Flaminio quarter and featuring innovative and spectacular forms.
11 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Maxxi
11 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
MAXXI, the National Museum of XXI Century Arts, is the first Italian national institution devoted to contemporary creativity. Conceived as a broad cultural campus, MAXXI is managed by a Foundation constituted in the July of 2009 by the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities and headed by Giovanna Melandri Since December 2013 Hou Hanru has been the Artistic Director of the museum, which includes MAXXI Architettura, directed by Margherita Guccione, and MAXXI Arte, directed by Bartolomeo Pietromarchi. The programming of the activities – exhibitions, workshops, conferences, shows, projections, educational projects – reflects MAXXI’s vocation as a place for the conservation and exhibition of its collections but also, and above all, a laboratory for cultural experimentation and innovation, for the study, research and production of the aesthetic contents of our time. The MAXXI building is a major architectural work designed by Zaha Hadid, located in Rome’s Flaminio quarter and featuring innovative and spectacular forms.

Drinks & Nightlife

Not far from Colosseum, Rione Monti is the oldest district of Rome . Along its streets you can find craft shops , art galleries , restaurants and cocktail bars.
11 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Chiesa di Santa Maria ai Monti
41 Via della Madonna dei Monti
11 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Not far from Colosseum, Rione Monti is the oldest district of Rome . Along its streets you can find craft shops , art galleries , restaurants and cocktail bars.
Trastevere is the beloved neighborhood by the Romans for evening outings . An old neighborhood , romantic, where you can stroll through the narrow streets surrounded by the history of Rome , where you can eat, drink , spend hours outdoors in the beautiful evenings drinking cocktails or eating an ice cream.
10 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Ponte Sisto
10 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Trastevere is the beloved neighborhood by the Romans for evening outings . An old neighborhood , romantic, where you can stroll through the narrow streets surrounded by the history of Rome , where you can eat, drink , spend hours outdoors in the beautiful evenings drinking cocktails or eating an ice cream.
Piazza del Colosseo overlooks the last stretch of Via di San Govanni in Laterano , the gay Roman street where you can meet young gay men who have drinks outdoors throughout the year before going to the disco on weekend evenings.
12 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Piazza del Colosseo
12 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Piazza del Colosseo overlooks the last stretch of Via di San Govanni in Laterano , the gay Roman street where you can meet young gay men who have drinks outdoors throughout the year before going to the disco on weekend evenings.
A street of the old Rome , near Piazza Navona , full of cozy wine bars , pizzerias , restaurants , second-hand shops , design stores and clothing . The ideal for a stroll and a romantic dinner
31 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via del Governo Vecchio
31 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
A street of the old Rome , near Piazza Navona , full of cozy wine bars , pizzerias , restaurants , second-hand shops , design stores and clothing . The ideal for a stroll and a romantic dinner
The Coming Out is located along the gay street of Rome , in front of the Coliseum. A unique place to meet young gay Romans and have a drink .
16 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Coming Out
8 Via di S. Giovanni in Laterano
16 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
The Coming Out is located along the gay street of Rome , in front of the Coliseum. A unique place to meet young gay Romans and have a drink .

Sightseeing

The Basilica of Saint Clement (Italian: Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano) is a Roman Catholic minor basilica dedicated to Pope Clement I. Archaeologically speaking, the structure is a three-tiered complex of buildings: the present basilica built just before the year 1100 during the height of the Middle Ages; beneath the present basilica is a 4th-century basilica that had been converted out of the home of a Roman nobleman, part of which had in the 1st century briefly served as an early church, and the basement of which had in the 2nd century briefly served as a mithraeum; the home of the Roman nobleman had been built on the foundations of a republican era building that had been destroyed in the Great Fire of 64 AD.
Piazza di San Clemente
The Basilica of Saint Clement (Italian: Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano) is a Roman Catholic minor basilica dedicated to Pope Clement I. Archaeologically speaking, the structure is a three-tiered complex of buildings: the present basilica built just before the year 1100 during the height of the Middle Ages; beneath the present basilica is a 4th-century basilica that had been converted out of the home of a Roman nobleman, part of which had in the 1st century briefly served as an early church, and the basement of which had in the 2nd century briefly served as a mithraeum; the home of the Roman nobleman had been built on the foundations of a republican era building that had been destroyed in the Great Fire of 64 AD.
The Eur district of Rome is the World Fair district of 1942. Its austere , monumental architecture , clad in white marble and travertine appear to come from a metaphysical painting of Giorgio de Chirico
Piazza Guglielmo Marconi
The Eur district of Rome is the World Fair district of 1942. Its austere , monumental architecture , clad in white marble and travertine appear to come from a metaphysical painting of Giorgio de Chirico
Ancient catacombs situated on the 3rd mile of the ancient Via Labicana, today Via Casilina in Rome near the church of Santi Marcellino e Pietro ad Duas Lauros. Their name refers to the Christian martyrs Marcellinus and Peter who, according to tradition, were buried here, near the body of St. Tiburtius. In 2006, over a thousand skeletons were discovered in these catacombs; the skeletons were stacked one on top of each other and still bore the togas they were buried with. The Catacombs opened after restorations on the 13th April 2014. The Catacombs are open only on Saturdays and on Sundays for individual visitors.
10 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Saint Marcellino and Pietro's Catacombs
10 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Ancient catacombs situated on the 3rd mile of the ancient Via Labicana, today Via Casilina in Rome near the church of Santi Marcellino e Pietro ad Duas Lauros. Their name refers to the Christian martyrs Marcellinus and Peter who, according to tradition, were buried here, near the body of St. Tiburtius. In 2006, over a thousand skeletons were discovered in these catacombs; the skeletons were stacked one on top of each other and still bore the togas they were buried with. The Catacombs opened after restorations on the 13th April 2014. The Catacombs are open only on Saturdays and on Sundays for individual visitors.
The most famous element of the church is the mosaic decorative program. Paschal hired a team of professional mosaicists to complete the work in the apse, the apsidal arch, and the triumphal arch. In the apse, Jesus is in the center, flanked by Sts. Peter and Paul who present Prassede and Pudenziana to God. On the far left is Paschal, with the square halo of the living, presenting a model of the church as an offering to Jesus. Below runs an inscription of Paschal's, hoping that this offering will be sufficient to secure his place in heaven. Santa Prassede also houses a segment of the alleged pillar upon which Jesus was flogged and tortured before his crucifixion in Jerusalem. The relic is alleged to have been retrieved in the early 4th century by Saint Helena (mother of the Roman Emperor Constantine I) who at the age of eighty undertook a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, where she founded churches for Christian worship and collected relics associated with the crucifixion of Jesus on Calvary.
39 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Santa Prassede
9 Via di Santa Prassede
39 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
The most famous element of the church is the mosaic decorative program. Paschal hired a team of professional mosaicists to complete the work in the apse, the apsidal arch, and the triumphal arch. In the apse, Jesus is in the center, flanked by Sts. Peter and Paul who present Prassede and Pudenziana to God. On the far left is Paschal, with the square halo of the living, presenting a model of the church as an offering to Jesus. Below runs an inscription of Paschal's, hoping that this offering will be sufficient to secure his place in heaven. Santa Prassede also houses a segment of the alleged pillar upon which Jesus was flogged and tortured before his crucifixion in Jerusalem. The relic is alleged to have been retrieved in the early 4th century by Saint Helena (mother of the Roman Emperor Constantine I) who at the age of eighty undertook a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, where she founded churches for Christian worship and collected relics associated with the crucifixion of Jesus on Calvary.
Garbatella is a popular neighborhood of the old Rome around the the Twenties. Its unmistakable buildings' style today are in great demand from the real estate market of the capital amongst young people, artists, writers and architects.
Via Domenico Chiodo
Garbatella is a popular neighborhood of the old Rome around the the Twenties. Its unmistakable buildings' style today are in great demand from the real estate market of the capital amongst young people, artists, writers and architects.
Via Margutta is a quiet street in the heart of Rome, between Piazza del Popolo and Spanish Steps, accessible from Via del Babuino in the ancient Campo Marzio neighborhood also known as "the foreigner's quarter". Mount Pincio is nearby. Via Margutta originally was home to modest craftsmen, workshops and stables, but now hosts many art galleries and fashionable restaurants. After the film Roman Holiday became popular, Via Margutta developed into an exclusive neighborhood, where various famous people lived, such as film director Federico Fellini. From Piazza di Spagna, you can take via del Babuino, turn right on Via Alibert, and Via Margutta will be on the left.
22 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via Margutta
22 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via Margutta is a quiet street in the heart of Rome, between Piazza del Popolo and Spanish Steps, accessible from Via del Babuino in the ancient Campo Marzio neighborhood also known as "the foreigner's quarter". Mount Pincio is nearby. Via Margutta originally was home to modest craftsmen, workshops and stables, but now hosts many art galleries and fashionable restaurants. After the film Roman Holiday became popular, Via Margutta developed into an exclusive neighborhood, where various famous people lived, such as film director Federico Fellini. From Piazza di Spagna, you can take via del Babuino, turn right on Via Alibert, and Via Margutta will be on the left.
Santa Maria Maggiore, is a Papal major basilica and the largest Catholic Marian church in Rome, from which size it receives the appellation "major". The Basilica is located at 34 Piazza del Esquilino, some five blocks southwest of Termini central station. The ancient basilica enshrines the venerated image of Salus Populi Romani, depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary as the health and protectress of the Roman people, which was granted a Canonical coronation by Pope Gregory XVI on 15 August 1838 accompanied by his Papal bull Cælestis Regina. Pursuant to the Lateran Treaty of 1929 between the Holy See and Italy, the Basilica is within Italian territory and not the territory of the Vatican City State. However, the Holy See fully owns the Basilica, and Italy is legally obligated to recognize its full ownership thereof and to concede to it "the immunity granted by International Law to the headquarters of the diplomatic agents of foreign States".
7 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
S. Maria Maggiore
7 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Santa Maria Maggiore, is a Papal major basilica and the largest Catholic Marian church in Rome, from which size it receives the appellation "major". The Basilica is located at 34 Piazza del Esquilino, some five blocks southwest of Termini central station. The ancient basilica enshrines the venerated image of Salus Populi Romani, depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary as the health and protectress of the Roman people, which was granted a Canonical coronation by Pope Gregory XVI on 15 August 1838 accompanied by his Papal bull Cælestis Regina. Pursuant to the Lateran Treaty of 1929 between the Holy See and Italy, the Basilica is within Italian territory and not the territory of the Vatican City State. However, the Holy See fully owns the Basilica, and Italy is legally obligated to recognize its full ownership thereof and to concede to it "the immunity granted by International Law to the headquarters of the diplomatic agents of foreign States".
Palazzo Farnese (Italian pronunciation: [paˈladdso farˈneːze; -eːse]) is one of the most important High Renaissance palaces in Rome. Owned by the Italian Republic, it was given to the French government in 1936 for a period of 99 years, and currently serves as the French embassy in Italy. First designed in 1517 for the Farnese family, the building expanded in size and conception when Alessandro Farnese became Pope Paul III in 1534, to designs by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. Its building history involved some of the most prominent Italian architects of the 16th century, including Michelangelo, Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola and Giacomo della Porta. At the end of the 16th century, the important fresco cycle of The Loves of the Gods in the Farnese Gallery was carried out by the Bolognese painter Annibale Carracci, marking the beginning of two divergent trends in painting during the 17th century, the Roman High Baroque and Classicism. The famous Farnese sculpture collection, now in the National Archeological Museum of Naples, as well as other Farnese collections, now mostly in Capodimonte Museum in Naples, were accommodated in the palace.
20 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Piazza Farnese
20 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Palazzo Farnese (Italian pronunciation: [paˈladdso farˈneːze; -eːse]) is one of the most important High Renaissance palaces in Rome. Owned by the Italian Republic, it was given to the French government in 1936 for a period of 99 years, and currently serves as the French embassy in Italy. First designed in 1517 for the Farnese family, the building expanded in size and conception when Alessandro Farnese became Pope Paul III in 1534, to designs by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. Its building history involved some of the most prominent Italian architects of the 16th century, including Michelangelo, Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola and Giacomo della Porta. At the end of the 16th century, the important fresco cycle of The Loves of the Gods in the Farnese Gallery was carried out by the Bolognese painter Annibale Carracci, marking the beginning of two divergent trends in painting during the 17th century, the Roman High Baroque and Classicism. The famous Farnese sculpture collection, now in the National Archeological Museum of Naples, as well as other Farnese collections, now mostly in Capodimonte Museum in Naples, were accommodated in the palace.
The Mausoleum of Helena is an ancient building in Rome 50meters far from Casa Berardi, located on the Via Casilina, corresponding to the 3rd mile of the ancient Via Labicana. It was built by the Roman emperor Constantine I between 326 and 330, originally as a tomb for himself, but later assigned to his mother, Helena, who died in 328. The building is on the circular plan, and is constituted by two cylinders, the upper one being of smaller diameter (27.74 metres (91.0 ft), internal diameter 20.18 metres (66.2 ft)). The original height was 25.42 metres (83.4 ft), while today it has reduced to some 18 metres (59 ft). Internally, the lower cylinder has an octagonal shape. At the vertexes are niches, alternatively rectangular and semicircular; one of them housed the entrance. In correspondence with the niche, in the upper ring, were eight arcaded windows. In order to obtain a lighter dome, it included fragments of amphorae (such as in the Temple of Romulus or the Mausoleum of Villa Gordiani), which are now visible after the vault has collapsed. This led to the medieval name of the mausoleum, Torpignattara (Torre delle pignatte, meaning "Tower of the Vases"), today also used for the quarter which has grown around. The rectangular niche facing the entrance most likely contained the sarcophagus of Helena, in red porphyry. The external walls of the sarcophagus are decorated with war scenes, as it was probably originally to be used for Helena's son, the emperor Constantine.
12 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Mausoleum of Saint Elena Tor Pignattara
12 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
The Mausoleum of Helena is an ancient building in Rome 50meters far from Casa Berardi, located on the Via Casilina, corresponding to the 3rd mile of the ancient Via Labicana. It was built by the Roman emperor Constantine I between 326 and 330, originally as a tomb for himself, but later assigned to his mother, Helena, who died in 328. The building is on the circular plan, and is constituted by two cylinders, the upper one being of smaller diameter (27.74 metres (91.0 ft), internal diameter 20.18 metres (66.2 ft)). The original height was 25.42 metres (83.4 ft), while today it has reduced to some 18 metres (59 ft). Internally, the lower cylinder has an octagonal shape. At the vertexes are niches, alternatively rectangular and semicircular; one of them housed the entrance. In correspondence with the niche, in the upper ring, were eight arcaded windows. In order to obtain a lighter dome, it included fragments of amphorae (such as in the Temple of Romulus or the Mausoleum of Villa Gordiani), which are now visible after the vault has collapsed. This led to the medieval name of the mausoleum, Torpignattara (Torre delle pignatte, meaning "Tower of the Vases"), today also used for the quarter which has grown around. The rectangular niche facing the entrance most likely contained the sarcophagus of Helena, in red porphyry. The external walls of the sarcophagus are decorated with war scenes, as it was probably originally to be used for Helena's son, the emperor Constantine.
Nearby the Porch of Octavia (Portico di Ottavia) there are most of the restaurant serving typical Roman-Jewish cuisine. (I suggest to order "carciofi alla giudìa" - "jewish style artichokes", delicious fried crispy artichoke flower shape) The ancient structure was built by Augustus in the name of his sister, Octavia Minor, sometime after 27 BC, in place of the Porticus Metelli. The colonnaded walks of the portico enclosed the temples of Jupiter Stator and Juno Regina, next to the Theater of Marcellus. It burned in 80 AD and was restored, probably by Domitian, and again after a second fire in 203 AD by Septimius Severus and Caracalla. It was adorned with foreign marble and contained many famous works of art, enumerated in Pliny's Natural History]]. The structure was damaged by an earthquake in 442 AD, when two of the destroyed columns were replaced with an archway which still stands. The church of Sant'Angelo in Pescheria was built in the ruins circa 770 AD.[citation needed] Original configuration Besides the pre-existing temples, the enclosure included a library erected by Octavia in memory of her son Marcus Claudius Marcellus, the curia Octaviae, and a schola. Whether these were different parts of one building, or entirely different structures, is uncertain. It was probably in the curia that the senate is recorded as meeting. The whole is referred to by Pliny the Elder as Octaviae opera. The portico was used as a fish market from the medieval period, and up to the end of 19th century. This role is remembered in the name of the annexed church of Sant'Angelo in Pescheria (Italian: "the Holy Angel in the Fish Market"). The building, which lies in rione Sant'Angelo, represents the center of the Roman Ghetto.
43 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Portico of Octavia
29 Via del Portico d'Ottavia
43 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Nearby the Porch of Octavia (Portico di Ottavia) there are most of the restaurant serving typical Roman-Jewish cuisine. (I suggest to order "carciofi alla giudìa" - "jewish style artichokes", delicious fried crispy artichoke flower shape) The ancient structure was built by Augustus in the name of his sister, Octavia Minor, sometime after 27 BC, in place of the Porticus Metelli. The colonnaded walks of the portico enclosed the temples of Jupiter Stator and Juno Regina, next to the Theater of Marcellus. It burned in 80 AD and was restored, probably by Domitian, and again after a second fire in 203 AD by Septimius Severus and Caracalla. It was adorned with foreign marble and contained many famous works of art, enumerated in Pliny's Natural History]]. The structure was damaged by an earthquake in 442 AD, when two of the destroyed columns were replaced with an archway which still stands. The church of Sant'Angelo in Pescheria was built in the ruins circa 770 AD.[citation needed] Original configuration Besides the pre-existing temples, the enclosure included a library erected by Octavia in memory of her son Marcus Claudius Marcellus, the curia Octaviae, and a schola. Whether these were different parts of one building, or entirely different structures, is uncertain. It was probably in the curia that the senate is recorded as meeting. The whole is referred to by Pliny the Elder as Octaviae opera. The portico was used as a fish market from the medieval period, and up to the end of 19th century. This role is remembered in the name of the annexed church of Sant'Angelo in Pescheria (Italian: "the Holy Angel in the Fish Market"). The building, which lies in rione Sant'Angelo, represents the center of the Roman Ghetto.
The Catacomb(s) of Callixtus (also known as the Cemetery of Callixtus) is one of the Catacombs of Rome on the Appian Way, most notable for containing the Crypt of the Popes (Italian: Cappella dei Papi), which once contained the tombs of several popes from the 2nd to 4th centuries. The Catacomb is believed to have been created by future Pope Callixtus I, then a deacon of Rome, under the direction of Pope Zephyrinus, enlarging pre-existing early Christian hypogea. Callixtus himself was entombed in the Catacomb of Calepodius on the Aurelian Way. The crypt fell into disuse and decay as the relics it contained were translated from the catacombs to the various churches of Rome; the final wave of translations from the crypt occurred under Pope Sergius II in the 9th century before the Lombard invasion, primarily to San Silvestro in Capite, which unlike the Catacomb was within the Aurelian Walls. The Catacomb and Crypt were rediscovered in 1854 by the pioneering Italian archaeologist Giovanni Battista de Rossi.
63 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Catacombs of St. Callixtus
110/126 Via Appia Antica
63 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
The Catacomb(s) of Callixtus (also known as the Cemetery of Callixtus) is one of the Catacombs of Rome on the Appian Way, most notable for containing the Crypt of the Popes (Italian: Cappella dei Papi), which once contained the tombs of several popes from the 2nd to 4th centuries. The Catacomb is believed to have been created by future Pope Callixtus I, then a deacon of Rome, under the direction of Pope Zephyrinus, enlarging pre-existing early Christian hypogea. Callixtus himself was entombed in the Catacomb of Calepodius on the Aurelian Way. The crypt fell into disuse and decay as the relics it contained were translated from the catacombs to the various churches of Rome; the final wave of translations from the crypt occurred under Pope Sergius II in the 9th century before the Lombard invasion, primarily to San Silvestro in Capite, which unlike the Catacomb was within the Aurelian Walls. The Catacomb and Crypt were rediscovered in 1854 by the pioneering Italian archaeologist Giovanni Battista de Rossi.
The Papal Archbasilica of St. John in Lateran (Italian: Arcibasilica Papale di San Giovanni in Laterano), commonly known as St. John Lateran Archbasilica, St. John Lateran Basilica, St. John Lateran, or simply the Lateran Basilica, is the cathedral church of Rome, Italy and therefore houses the Cathedra, or ecclesiastical seat, of the Roman Pontiff (Pope). It is the oldest of and has precedence among the four Papal Major Basilicas, all of which are in Rome, because it is the oldest church in the West and houses the Cathedra of the Roman Pontiff. It has the title of ecumenical mother church of the Roman Catholic faithful. The current archpriest is Agostino Vallini, Cardinal Vicar General for the Diocese of Rome. The President of the French Republic, currently François Hollande, is ex officio the "first and only honorary canon" of the Archbasilica, a title that the heads of state of France have possessed since King Henry IV. The large Latin inscription on the façade reads: Clemens XII Pont Max Anno V Christo Salvatori In Hon SS Ioan Bapt et Evang; which is a highly abbreviated inscription which translates to: "Pope Clement XII, in the fifth year [of his Pontificate], dedicated this building to Christ the Savior, in honor of Saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist". The inscription indicates, along with its full title (see below), that the Archbasilica was originally dedicated to Christ the Savior and, centuries later, co-dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. As the Cathedral of the Pope qua Bishop of Rome, it ranks superior to all other churches of the Roman Catholic Church, including St. Peter's Basilica, and therefore it alone is titled "Archbasilica" among all other basilicas. The Archbasilica is sited in the City of Rome, outside and distanced from Vatican City proper, which is approximately 4 km (2.5 mi) to its northwest, although the Archbasilica and its adjoining edifices have extraterritorial status from Italy as one of the properties of the Holy See, subject to the sovereignty of the latter, pursuant to the Lateran Treaty of 1929 with Italy.
291 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Lateranbasilikan
4 Piazza di S. Giovanni in Laterano
291 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
The Papal Archbasilica of St. John in Lateran (Italian: Arcibasilica Papale di San Giovanni in Laterano), commonly known as St. John Lateran Archbasilica, St. John Lateran Basilica, St. John Lateran, or simply the Lateran Basilica, is the cathedral church of Rome, Italy and therefore houses the Cathedra, or ecclesiastical seat, of the Roman Pontiff (Pope). It is the oldest of and has precedence among the four Papal Major Basilicas, all of which are in Rome, because it is the oldest church in the West and houses the Cathedra of the Roman Pontiff. It has the title of ecumenical mother church of the Roman Catholic faithful. The current archpriest is Agostino Vallini, Cardinal Vicar General for the Diocese of Rome. The President of the French Republic, currently François Hollande, is ex officio the "first and only honorary canon" of the Archbasilica, a title that the heads of state of France have possessed since King Henry IV. The large Latin inscription on the façade reads: Clemens XII Pont Max Anno V Christo Salvatori In Hon SS Ioan Bapt et Evang; which is a highly abbreviated inscription which translates to: "Pope Clement XII, in the fifth year [of his Pontificate], dedicated this building to Christ the Savior, in honor of Saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist". The inscription indicates, along with its full title (see below), that the Archbasilica was originally dedicated to Christ the Savior and, centuries later, co-dedicated to St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist. As the Cathedral of the Pope qua Bishop of Rome, it ranks superior to all other churches of the Roman Catholic Church, including St. Peter's Basilica, and therefore it alone is titled "Archbasilica" among all other basilicas. The Archbasilica is sited in the City of Rome, outside and distanced from Vatican City proper, which is approximately 4 km (2.5 mi) to its northwest, although the Archbasilica and its adjoining edifices have extraterritorial status from Italy as one of the properties of the Holy See, subject to the sovereignty of the latter, pursuant to the Lateran Treaty of 1929 with Italy.

Shopping

Via Cola di Rienzo is the shopping street that connects Piazza Risorgimento , next to the Basilica of Saint Peter , to Piazza del Popolo in the heart of historic Rome . It ' a nice walk with beautiful casual fashion shops , bookstores, bars and ice cream shops.
196 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via Cola di Rienzo
196 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Via Cola di Rienzo is the shopping street that connects Piazza Risorgimento , next to the Basilica of Saint Peter , to Piazza del Popolo in the heart of historic Rome . It ' a nice walk with beautiful casual fashion shops , bookstores, bars and ice cream shops.
Piazza di Spagna is a must for lovers of high fashion
169 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Piazza di Spagna
169 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Piazza di Spagna is a must for lovers of high fashion

Parks & Nature

Villa Pamphili is among the largest urban parks in Italy. You can regenerate , cycling , jogging in this green area not far from St. Peter's Basilica
314 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Villa Doria Pamphili
314 lokalinvånare rekommenderar
Villa Pamphili is among the largest urban parks in Italy. You can regenerate , cycling , jogging in this green area not far from St. Peter's Basilica